Had a close, long-time friend over for dinner the other day, and we were chatting about babies, as is quite common these days ;o) She is just slightly younger than me, with a hubby about the same age as mine. She is keen to put off having babies for another three or four years - which will make her thirty. I have absolutely nothing against that, but what she said kind of took me aback.
She said, "It's just such an ordinary, normal thing to do; settle down and have a baby"
Funny. I feel like this is the most unordinary, amazing thing I've ever done. My body is making a baby. We are about to bring a new life into the world and teach it the things we believe are important.
I'm almost offended by the thought that it's an ordinary, normal thing to do.
Just been thinking about it, that's all...
Tuesday, June 27, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Its an EXTRAordinary thing Tam!!
Oh how little she knows.
She doesn't even know the half of how EXTRAORDINARY this process is!!!!!!!
I would like to think that one day she too will be blessed with this experience and truly regret her throw away comment.
In my opinion I would just ignore it and think you know something she doesn't ;) lol....jokes on her!!!!!
Sandi :)
Oh no she has no idea but she will when it's her turn.
Funny how you think it's such a boring normal thing to do and spend lots of time avoiding it until the time actually comes and you wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
It is extraordinary Tam, every birth is a miracle. :)
Tam, she knows not of what she speaks!
Forgive me but she was rude and niave for there is nothing remotely ordinary about it!
Maybe one day she will be lucky enough to know the feeling of holding your breath anxiously for 9 months and THEN she will understand.
Take care Tam.
I'm sorry Tam, but I'm with Rachie- I think that was totally rude and such an inconsiderate thing to say! Having children is the most amazing thing that life could ever offer, nothing ordinary about it!
Maybe when she's preg or had her bub, remind her of what she's said to you :o)
Post a Comment