Thursday, September 07, 2006

Mean mummy

So, I'm letting the little one cry himself to sleep. I feel so terribly bad every time I do it, but he will cry for at least fifteen minutes when I put him down, and then fall into this gorgeous, deep sleep. He refuses to be swaddled; he has to have his arms free when he's in his cot or else he screams and screams. When he's in his active sleep cycle, his little arms jerk and flail around, and I don't know how he doesn't wake himself. When he's in his deep sleep, his arms flop up beside his head, and he looks so utterly relaxed and helpless.

We had a busy day yesterday - appointment with the maternal and child health nurse first off. He is back to his birth weight, has grown 4cm, and all his reflexes are good. Then we went back to the hospital where I worked (and where Diesel was born). He slept the entire time we were there - was handed back and forth to a hundred different people, and just slept. Then to my parents' to meet one of my aunties. Again - slept and slept. What a little champion! He made up for it once we got home, and screamed for a solid hour. He's still sleeping well though - slept from his 10.30pm feed until 3.30am, then I had to wake him at 9am for another feed.

My house is a mess, but the motivation to clean is zilch. The weather is horrid, and my washing pile is HUGE. But, I'm not going to feel guilty about having a slow day. I need it, Diesel needs it. Whatever gets done, gets done. The rest will still be there tomorrow! Unfortunately!

And he's still crying...

2 comments:

Nat said...

Whatever gets done gets done! That is so it with a little baby around huh!! I totally get you. And i *still* have not made it right to the bottom of the washing basket (in 3.5 months!)

How hard is it to let them cry and cry, but you know what's best for them and you will get through it, and he'll continue to be a great sleeper.

Love ya, Nat :)

Belinda Venables said...

Glad to hear that your little man is sleeping well. It's great to get a good nights sleep.
Great way of thinking about the housework. I wish i had your attitude about it :) I guess, it's not like it's going anywhere hey..lol.
Take care.
xx