Tuesday, May 06, 2008

It happened!

I had seriously started doubting whether this bubba was ever going to come out, but finally, on May 2, at 40+3 weeks, Xander Levi made his debut!

I had no warning signs at all. The day before (Thursday) I had my 40 week appointment, then headed to the health shop to get some clary sage essential oil which is supposed to assist in inducing labour. I had a nice hot bath with the oil that night, and sniffed it occasionally too (can't hurt, right?)

Friday morning I woke early, got up for a wee, and noticed that I had a slightly painful braxton hicks contraction when I stood up. Went back to bed, and had a couple more. Rog left for work at 6.30am and I told
him to make sure his phone was on all day as I was having some mild contractions. After a two day ordeal with Diesel's birth and a good 20 hours of established labour, I didn't think we were going to have to worry too much about hurrying this time!

The contractions mostly fizzled out once I got up, but I did have a show when I went to the toilet. Figured I should keep moving to try to get things started again, so me and Diesel headed for the shops to meet my mum for a birthday coffee (Mum's birthday is May 2). Every time I stood from sitting I had a mild contraction, and after a little while they started coming when I was still too. They weren't painful, just uncomfortable. Saw my
best mate at the shops and sat talking with her for a bit too.

Walking through the shopping centre with my mum after coffee, I had a couple of contractions where I had to stop and breathe. Mum started getting a little worried - her second baby arrived VERY quickly, and I think she was worried I was going to drop the baby where I stood. I sat outside a shop while she grabbed some th
ings for me, and rang Rog to tell him to maybe have an early day. A few minutes and a couple of contractions later, I rang him back to suggest that he should leave now... just in case...

My mum wouldn't let me drive home, so my dad met us at the shops and drove my car home for me, with my mum following. We left the shops at about 11am. On the 20 minute trip home, I had four or five painful contractions. Once home, we started timing them, and they were four minutes apart, lasting for a minute and a half each. My labour with Diesel was all over the place, and never got to that point. Rog got home and we ordered him into the shower. I was starting to have to cross my legs with each contraction as it felt like the baby was going to fall out. We rang the birth centre and they encouraged us to stay at home until we felt the contractions were unmanageable. One contraction later I made Rog ring them back and tell them we were on our way! Unfortunately, the birth centre was full, so we were redirected to the labour wards.

Rog parked in emergency and ran me up to the labour wards in a wheelchair. Once I was settled in the room -
on my knees with my head on the bed - he left to park the car. It was now just after 1pm. The midwife came in to keep me company and I told her that I was maybe feeling like I needed to push. She quietly remarked that she hoped Rog would be quick as she thought I might be having a baby...

Rog got back and I got up on the bed, again on my knees. The nurse asked if I wanted to have an internal to check how things were going. I agreed and with difficulty, got onto my back. She had a feel (OUCH) and
announced that the waters were bulging and were the only thing stopping the baby being born now! She asked if we'd like her to break the waters, and I agreed... So, the waters flowed! He he. And then the baby was there - crowned straight away, and both Rog and Jan commented on how much hair he had!!

After a couple of huge pushes, it was clear that I was going to need a little help - he was presenting forehead first making his head just a bit too big. A quick snip (again - ouch, ouch, ouch) and a couple more big pushes,
and my big baby boy slid out and was placed in my arms. It was 1.28pm - just less than half an hour after we arrived at hospital.


Rog saw that he was a boy straight away, but I had secretly know since 20 weeks, when I saw a certain little appendage accidentally on the ultrasound... I had lots of cuddles while I had LOTS of stitches, and then we were pretty much left alone to meet our bubba. I felt pretty great - a two hour labour with 15 minutes of pushing was so much less exhausting than 20 hours of labour!! Xander had a feed - fed brilliantly straight away! I had a shower, got dressed, and was sitting up in the lounge chairs when my parents brought Diesel in to meet his new baby brother.


Diesel was completely over-tired, since this whole thing happened right over his nap time, and was completely disinterested in Xander. We were transferred to the birth centre soon after, and once we were in the room, Diesel started to show some interest - even getting up to smell, cuddle and kiss Xander.

Later on, Xander was weighed and measured - 4.19kg (9lb 4oz), 52.5cm long with a 36cm head circumference. Quite a big boy, but he still looks so little and precious! We had a long night of feeding and spewing and crying, but overall everything was great, and I got to go home before lunch the next day, just before Xander turned 24 hours old.

Since then, things have been great! We haven't had a lot of sleep, but he seems to be settling in a little better today, so hopefully we will have some better luck tonight. We've been completely spoilt with presents. Rog has taken the week off, and is on Diesel duty! We are so in love with our little bubba, and are feeling so blessed to be mummy and daddy to two little boys!

11 comments:

Q Tea Kits said...

Congrats Tam! How beautiful is he :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Tam, Rog and Diesel on your gorgeouse new little one, Xander. So glad everything went well and you got to the hospital on time. Looking forward to seeing some more lovely photos.

Anonymous said...

oh wow Tam! What an incredible story, and just as well you decided to go when you did...imagine if you had been stuck in traffic!! ok actually don't try and imagine LOL

He is adorable, and i adore the name. Can't wait to meet him IRL *cluckity cluck cluck*

Megan said...

He is just so very gorgeous Tam. Amazing birth story - i love reading birth stories. Can't wait to meet little Xander.

Anonymous said...

Sending big congratulations Tam. I am very happy for you all.

Thanks for sharing these precious photos. Both your boys are adorable. You sure are lucky.

Have a wonderful week getting into the new routine, enjoy every special moment and I hope you get some sleep soon.

Love from Susan (smiles1965) at Scrapboxx.

Nat said...

Just loved reading your story honey!! Yay for a quick labour! Answer to prayer I bet.
He's gorgeous, can't wait to see some 'home' piccies of the little man too :)
Prayers for some rest for you both tonight xx

kathie said...

Congratulations!! I'm glad to hear that the labour was uncomplicated and quick. Yay! The photos are gorgeous. Xander is beautiful. And the photos of the two boys together are fantastic.

Jodi said...

Congrats Tam. He is simply beautiful. So glad you are all home and well. Thinking of you guys. J xx

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Tam, he's beautiful, and I love his name! The photo of Diesel and Xander together is just gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Tam, Rog, and Diesel on you newest addition to your gorgeous family! Xander looks like such a precious little boy!
Thanks for sharing your amazing birth story! I had goosebumps reading it!

(by the way, you have been tagged, but it's cool if you don't feel up to blogging right now with a newborn)

lusi said...

Oh Tam! WHat a wonderful time for you guys! Praise God he is here safe and sound! Glad it was quicker than Diesel's! I can't beleive how grown up D is!!!!
Two gorgeous little boys...how blessed!
Love to you all,
Lusi x